Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the functionality) of teeth, gums and/or bite. It primarily focuses on improvement dental aesthetics in color, position, shape, size,
alignment and overall smile appearance.
Cosmetic dentistry may involve:
- “Tooth bleaching”, is the most common cosmetic dental procedure. While many whitening options are now available, including over the counter products, dentist-supervised treatments remain the recommended procedures for lightening discolored teeth.
- Laser whitening is a teeth whitening technique in which gums are covered with rubber and a bleaching chemical is applied on the teeth. A beam of argon laser, which is intended to accelerate the process of bleaching, is then projected upon the
teeth. This laser activates the bleaching chemical and lightens the teeth color. Laser whitening is said to be more effective in teeth whitening compared to other procedures.
- Tooth reshaping removes parts of theenamel to improve the appearance of the tooth. It may be used to correct a small chip, or to alter the length, shape or position of teeth
- Bonding is a process in which anenamel-likedental composite material is applied to a tooth’s surface, sculpted into shape, hardened and then polished.
- Dental bridges are used to replace one or more missing teeth. Teeth on both sides of the space left by the missing teeth are prepared. Most bridges are fixed, they can not be removed. Fixed bridges cannot be taken out in the same way that partial
- Veneers are ultra-thin, custom-made porcelain laminates that are bonded directly to the teeth. They are an option for closing gaps, enhance the shape, or change the color of teeth that do not respond well to whitening procedures. In the majority of the cases, some level of tooth reduction is necessary for optimal
- Dental Implants are prosthetic replacements for missing teeth. there are commonly three parts to what it is described as an implant: the implant (which is inserted into the bone), the abutment, and a dental crown or a denture which are
connected to the implant through the abutment.
- Gum lift is a cosmetic dental procedure that raises and sculpts the gum line. The procedure involves reshaping the tissue and/or underlying bones to create the appearance of longer or more symmetrical teeth.
- Bite Reclamation is for patients who have had years of excessive wear to their teeth due to grinding or acid reflux can alter their vertical dimension. This gives them a closed or shorter look to their face and smile. By opening up their bite, a
qualified professional can reclaim their vertical dimension.